Tiffany's Love is a Lifesaver

Interview with Tiffany Spencer a Mom, Educator and CO-VID19 Home Front Volunteer who decided to make masks for FREE to help out local hospitals and medical centers. Her masks are made with a sewing machine out of fun fabrics. Enjoy!


Tiff!

This is soooo amazing and yet not surprising that you've gotten involved in the fight against the coronavirus on the Home Front.

Thank You for being there for the community. I happen to know you personally because you are like an Auntie to me, very close to my heart and family and I've known you as one the flyest braiders there ever was! I still recall the night before the first day of my last year in Elementary School (6th Grade) you were my saving grace. You came over just for a visit but then stopped and took the time to help get my hair together. Your spirit is just giving like that! 

...

So what was the deciding point for you? When did you decide to make masks for people?

The deciding point was when I saw a post on Facebook  about hospitals running out of masks for their staff to use. They had started talks about handmade masks to help with their shortage. I then saw a post in one of my sewing groups, where they were beginning to make masks. So I wanted to do it as well. I made my first mask on March 21st.



How many have you made? Did you sell them--or give them away for free?

So far, I have donated close to 500 masks. I was not going to sell in the beginning, but as the months went by and people started asking, I did start taking orders after I donated my first 100 masks. Then the CDC stated that people needed to wear them and I was getting orders everyday. I am getting close to 900 masks made.

What did you enjoy most during the process?

I enjoyed the actual process itself. I love to sew anyway, so things like buying fabric, cutting out patterns and putting it all together is what I enjoy about sewing. I was most happy that I was actually doing something to help others.



Did you discover anything new?

I discovered that sewing was helping me keep my mind off all of the CoronaVirus news. It was helping me cope with what was going on in the world right now. It brought joy to me, knowing that I was helping people.

The fabrics you used, did you have this already or did you order them? What are some of the features of these masks?

I have to be honest, I have a huge fabric stash and that is what I started with. My local Joann Fabrics offered store pick up, so I ordered new fabric at least once a week. I mainly stuck to one style mask as it pretty much was a universal pattern. I love picking out different prints, so the masks were fun and unique. I found some religious fabrics, team sports, cartoons and superheroes. This made them fun to make and wear.

Who all benefited from the masks you made? 

I have donated to nursing homes and hospitals, hospital for the chronically ill, a friend who receives dialysis, who wanted some for her nurses, friends who are nurses for their units, essential workers, a construction company, graduation masks for a kindergarten class, front line workers, postal workers, bus drivers, family and friends.

What are some of the comments, praises and or feedback you received from your home-front service?

I've received thank you notes with "well made", "love the colors", neatly done, etc. I take pride in my work, even if it is for donations. I am always pleased to hear positive feedback.

When did you acquire this skill of sewing?

I used to thread my grandmother's sewing machine when I was younger, but I didn't start sewing until my 20's. One day I asked for a sewing machine, started practicing and learned along the way.



You mentioned on Facebook one day that you were looking forward to "reconnecting with your sewing machine"--do you find that this work is therapeutic or spiritual in some sort of way? Please share.


Yes, I love to create. I was "reconnecting" because with work and being a full time student, I could not find the time to sew, like I wanted to. It had been months since I used my machine. My job closed due to CO-VID19 and my classes shifted to online, so I was literally home all day and had time that I needed to sew.  Once I started sewing the masks, I was sewing every single day. It is very therapeutic. Sometimes I put on my headphones and some gospel music and get into my "zone" and just sew the day away.

Not too many young women have these essential-domestic life skills, what words of advice do you have the Millennial Generation who spend most of their time interfacing with technology? or you may be inexperienced with domestics?

It's funny, because since the pandemic, there has been a surge in sewing machine purchases. So my hope is that some of those were purchased by a few millennials :-) It's never too late to learn a skill or take up a hobby. You can do that and use technology. Using technology is where I  found the awesome group that I'm working with, Delmarva COVID-19 Crafters & Volunteers. Crafting and sewing may not be for everyone, so we all find and gravitate to what we love to do.

Do you have a favorite color? Favorite song? Choice Women of Color in History?

The color pink is my favorite. If I had to choose a favorite song, it would be "Overcomer" by Mandisa. I love Michelle Obama and her positive attitude. "When they go low, we go high" are great words to live by.



What city and state are you located in?

I'm located in Camden, Delaware.

Where can people find your work and purchase a mask?

I just started an Etsy page with the store name FifiJordan.  I've also been taking most orders through Facebook.

Include anything else that I may not have covered or asked about.

Fun fact - I got an emergency order for 50 masks and had them ready the next day.


Thank You so much for your time! We appreciate you! 
Love the Beebodi Marketplace

Kayla 

Comments

Popular Posts